Search This Blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

Iceberg Lettuce


Mark Bittman's column this week focuses on what has become the least desirable lettuce. I love the approach of the Minimalist, and romaine is something that I always have in my refridgerator. Additionally, his first recips, a wedge of iceberg, with blue cheese dressing over it is something that I adore. The addition of toasted hazelnuts is a delicious one.
The lettuce soup is something I am leery about, but will try because I admire Bittman's judgement as it relates to food. He is all about highlighting the flavor of the food, with a minimum of input from the cook. Allowing the inner beauty of the iceberg lettuce to take the stage, front and center, which when it comes to lettuce is a pretty bold move.
On the other hand, I am eager to make shrimp and lettuce stir fry. I have several go-to shrimp recipes, but i am trying to do more dishes that feature a quick sautee, things that can be made rapidly in the moments between getting home from work and people melting down from hypoglycemia. I quite ahppily suggest going out if my husband doesn't cook on the weekends, it is just not my time to take responsibility, but the week night meals I do feel largely in charge of. I routinely get home earlier than everyone else, and so it is fair. But not always welcome, so new recipes are an antidote to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment