Search This Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sherlock Holmes


I am shocked. I loved this movie. The trailers did not lead me to believe that would happen. Explosions are not my thing. Special effects are to be tolerated rather than encouraged. My sons enthusiastically endorsing it when it came out did not help any. They were seduced by the hipper version of Holmes. Not I. And while I love Robert Downey, Jr., I am not a big Jude Law fan, and Watson is critical to my enjoyment of Holmes. There were impressive notations in the 'cons' column before I even sat down to watch the movie.
Well, suffice it to say that by the time I sat down to rate the movie, I knew I loved it, and I really couldn't give it anything but a perfect score. There is not a better version of this sort of movie out there that I have seen. The script is funny and sinister and smart. The actors delivered it with near perfect timing. In spite of myself, I really loved Watson. He was more torn between his love for Holmes and his desire for a more socially acceptable life style than I would have pictured him, but I liked him this way. Both Holmes and Watson were impressively fit, and they played men past the bloom of youth, so even more impressive. They are confident physically but not irritatingly so--well, perhaps a bit cocky, but the cockiness that serves you well.
The delivery that Downey brings to his Holmes is simultaneously hilarious and awe inspiring. He is more rumpled than I pictured Holmes, more jaunty, and a lot grittier. This Holmes is more dirty than he clean through out the movie. He is openly jealous of Watson for his love of another--he wants all of Watson's attention, and yet doesn't want to admit he needs him. He is far from removed--he rolls up his sleeves and takes action, even when the odds are against him and he acknowledges his reluctance. The plot is a bit too neatly sewn up at the end, but not so improbably that it would upset you. This is a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment