Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Split Pea Soup


This soup is a staple at our house. I didn't make it last month because I was on the road, but I make it every month, sometimes twice a month. Abe and I are the primary consumers of it, but everyone likes it. In contrast to many soups that I make, this one is very simple, with few ingredients, and I have eliminated many of the items that others think are essential to great pea soup--a ham bone, for example. I like this version better.
8-10 c. stock
2 c. split peas
1 onion, diced
3 potatoes, diced
Put all ingredients in crock pot, turn on high, and leave overnight. In the morning, puree in food processor and serve. Use less stock if you like a thicker soup, more if you like it to pour. I serve with grated Parmesan cheese sometimes, or a bit of pepper sprinkled on at the end, or chives sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment