Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Celebrate Robin Williams

I am always saddened when someone who doesn't have a chronic painful debilitating illness takes their own life.  Robin Williams had more than his share of successes, but he also had his struggles.  I am sorry that the later won out over the former yesterday.  Depression is a terrible thing.  And the key to comic genius may carry more than it's fair share of burdens.  Mr. Williams clearly had the resources to get help, but his fame and his craft carried their own consequences. 

Now to the celebration of his life.  More than any other comic of my generation this man made me laugh.  His hero worship of Jonathan Winters, one of my early childhood favorite comics, made him an even bigger success in my eyes.  He could precisely pinpoint the absurd in a person or a situation and make his point in a way that would make you laugh out loud.  From Mork and Mindy to his standup work to his work in movies ('Dead Poet's Society', 'Mrs. Doubtfire', and 'Good Morning Vietnam', to name a few time honored favorites, and 'Jumanji', to name one that my children watched over and over again), I have loved his work for almost 40 years, and I hope that he has found the peace that he sought by taking his own life. And the rest of us need to take care of our mental health and assist those who need professional help to get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment