Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Ode to the One Holding Down the Fort

It has been a long and tumultuous end of the year for me, but in a lot of ways it has been harder for my spouse.  He has had his health, which is a big plus, no getting around that, but that has it's own price.  While I have been sick, he has been left to do literally everything else.  even the occasional load of laundry which is most certainly my bailiwick, even at the worst of times.  I can definitely see myself rising from the worst of illnesses to put a load of laundry into the dryer.  It is the one thing that I do no matter what.  Except not always.  Like when I am in the hospital for a week, for instance.  Or there are laundry intensive events going on.
So I want to take a moment to say that no one gets through serious illness alone, at least not if they want to look the least bit graceful doing so, and it is often the spouse who bears the brunt of making that happen, often with very little fanfare or recognition.  Not to mention shouldering the emotional burdens of a sick loved one, which I know from personal experience can be crippling in and of themselves.  So hats off to my spouse today, as he begins another trip around the sun.  Hoping for all our sakes that it has joy and laughter  to remember it by.

No comments:

Post a Comment