Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Ferdinand (2017)

I always, or at least almost always enjoy the movies that are nominated in the Best Animated movie category and this year is no exception.  This is my dead last choice of the five nominated movies and I enjoyed it immensely.  I wouldn't even have been terribly upset had it won (which is in stark contrast to how I feel about my last choice in the Best Short Animated category winning, which is that I till feel it is the worst choice of the entire Oscar season).  This movie is charming and should definitely not be missed.
Ferdinand and his fellow young bulls have a very poor understanding of what the long term options are for bulls, and that is part of the charm of the movie.  While children might also not get from the very beginning that they are caught between a rock and a hard place (go to the meat packing plant immediately or die in the ring), the adults will, and so the movie works on a number of levels, as the best animated movies for children should.  Ferdinand is a kind bull with a gentle heart and we root for him to evade his fate and be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment