Search This Blog

Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Disaster Artist (2017)

This is about a movie called "The Room", which is vying for the title "Worst Movie Ever Made".  I believe there is a lot of competition at the bottom of that pile, but that particular movie certainly is in the running, and this movie basically chronicles the making of a bad movie.  There is almost nowhere to go but up from there.
One review I read stated that just like Meryl Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins, James Franco hits all the wrong notes right.  The end of the movie shows clips from the movie they are chronicling and it is uncanny how pitch perfect the Franco brothers manage to get it.  That, however, is just not enough for me.  Not nearly enough.  The movie was nominated only in the category of Best Adapted Screenplay, and it did not win.  If there is one movie that I would recommend skipping in this Oscar year, it might be this one--the one hesitation that I have is that "The Room" gathers crowds to this day, and watching this movie would be a less painful way to access that cultural phenomenon than watching the original.  That would be my guess, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment