Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Star Wars: The Last jedi (2017)

Oh my goodness, this is really not a very good movie.  I watched it now because of the Oscars, and it was nominated in four categories, but I certainly would have gotten around to it in any case, but while it brings back some classic characters (with not much time to spare in one case), it highlights that perhaps this was never that strong on plot, writing, or character development.
Adam Driver is Han Solo's legacy and while I like him in a number of roles I have seen him in, he does not bring a lot of nuance to the bad guy role.  To be fair, Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker leaves something to be desired in that category as well.  The high drama is wearing a bit thin, here in the umpteenth permutation of good versus evil, and all the nuances that come in between,  but then again, in the arena of special effects and such, it is a contender.  As one of my kids correctly pointed out, it was better than the most recent Transformers movie.  When put in that context, it was more or less fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment