Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego

 Art has so many permutations.  I love to see things that I could not do or make or even think of.  I love the highly detailed art of the Dutch Renaissance.  The blurry Impressionist works really move me.  I can sit in that room in the MOMA in New York that has the Monet triptych for hours.  Contemporary art museums have more art that I can relate to, that I could actually see making.  Assembling objects artfully, or telling a story visually, using intermedia to make a political and social point artistically, all of that I can personally relate to.
Here is the thing.  I like two things that may be on the extreme ends of the Bell curve when it comes to museums of these sort.  The first is that I love the whimsy, and both of these pieces pictured have some of that quality.  Then I also love the intermedia of art to make political statements more powerfully than with words alone.  There was an exhibit by the daughter of a Black Panther that was very thought provoking, using photography, FOIA documents she obtained related to her father, and objects to create a story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment