Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2018

RIP Tony Bourdain

Anthony Bourdain and I were more or less the same age when he took his life this week.  I do not know what his struggles were, but I certainly know what it is to look death in the eye at this age, and it feels way too young, so I am saddened that he was in that place and carried out his own demise.
I was not directly influenced by him, but his passion for travel for the sake of food is one that I have always whole-heartedly shared.  He was a riskier eater than I am, but I love being some place entirely different from my home, delving into street food that is beautifully made and flavorful, and then coming home and bringing that new food and flavor and culture into my own kitchen, sharing with my circle of friends, and then rinse repeat.  Let not a month go by that I travel, or am about to go, or I just got back, that is the feeling of life and passion.  Embrace what is different.  Try to learn from it.  Taste everything once.  One thing is sure.  He lived large and while his life was short, he got a lot out of it and he shared it broadly, generously, enthusiastically, infectiously.  May his memory be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment