Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2026

Sew.Quilt.Explore by Colby Cartledge

Colby is a member of our modern quilt guild and lucky for us, she is also a lecturer who really knows how to strike a chord with a large swath of the guild. Her lecture last year about her way of managing her scraps was really inspirational--at many a Zoom sew in afterwards someone was bound to quote her and I certainly took in her wisdom while not being completely adherent to the message. My scraps remain a mess, but I do feel like if I got a chance to manage them that I have a place to start. Another thing about her quilting philosophy is the Reuse Reduce Recycle kind of approach--she will take offcasts and is a proponent for sustainable quilting, even if I have not heard her say as much. The most recent lecture I heard was about Quilting Rules--which ones do you really need to adhere to and which ones can you ignore--she is a quilter who is not all about perfection, and if you are one of those, someone for whom the seam ripper might be used more than once on the same block, it might not be for you, but that is not me (although I seam ripped yesterday--more than once--but only when truly provoked, like I should have used a leader but I did not, and the squinching was too much, or a log cabin that I got off to the wrong start and a dark ended up in a light position, and it really had to be corrected, no getting around it). She talked about increasing your confidence in your skills so that you don't need all the guard rails, and guess what? There are no quilt police. You make your own rules and guidelines, and you can break them at your leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment