Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Reflections on Grandparenthood

My first and for the moment only grandchild turns two today, and I want to take just a few moments to revel in what she means to my spouse and I.  While I do try to avoid this, I do occasionally put words into his mouth,  and on this subject I think he feels more of everything that I feel, that the impact of a grandchild has been explosive and mesmerizing.
In order to commemorate this moment right now, I made this very playful and hopeful quilt, that the world she grows up in has more possibilities for her than it had even for me and her mother, that the patriarch be gradually dismantled and in it's place we see real equality and respect between the genders, especially as the concept of gender is devolving within her parents generation.  I would not have predicted that, but there you have it.  May that ultimately benefit us all.
My heart is full with her, and she is all that we need.  We have no problem sharing her with everyone.  I feel no jealously, only an expansion of the love I feel for my friends and family in a new and different direction that I am very grateful to be able to experience.  It is so cool to be taught something brand new so late in the game, and today I once again revel in it, and on this occasion, mark it with a craft associated with me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment