Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Captain Marvel (2019)

There are few things to say right off the bat.  The first is that Brie Larson is great, and if marvel was going to have a first woman superhero, then she is an excellent choice.  I hate to admit it, but I was impressed with her work in Kong: Skull Mountain, which I watched as an Oscar nominee, but ended up being surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  The second is that there are bound to be critics when there is a woman superhero.  It accurately reflects what it is like to be a competent woman, even these days. 
So, here I go.  The plot for this was maybe a bit overblown, but then, it is the Marvel Universe and that probably goes with the territory.  I wasn't crazy about the whole plot being revealed in flashbacks, I thought it made our star look a bit befuddled and didn't really add to her aura--but then, I am not a script writer.  The thing that really nagged at me is that they are constantly harping on the fact that her emotions are her weakness.  This is one of the oldest tropes about women, and to my ear, the movie fans that flame.  On the whole, I enjoyed it, there is another great female character as well, and Samuel Jackson is the best of show.

No comments:

Post a Comment