Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren

I put this on my hold list for two reasons.  I have made a middle of the year resolution to try to read more nonfiction, and after that momentous decision, Obama's summer reading list came out, and as is his usual, there is a lot of non-fiction on it.  So here I am, reading a memoir by a plant biologist.
There are a couple of threads in this book, the one that is really fun is the one about plant biology, the way of thinking about plants if you are really into them rather than if you merely grow them.  I am not a science Luddite, but almost everything she says in this vein is either something I didn't know or something that was a new way of looking at something I know.
The other part is her life, mostly her life in science.  The truth is that there is really not a huge amount of time outside her lab when she is awake.  She captures that obsession well, and she also demonstrates that one key to success is having a great lab manager, and her way of making that happen for her was so emblematic of her approach to everything.  Really a great read, even though there are bumps along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment