Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

I read the Handmaid's Tale when it was published and I was a young woman, and then again three years ago when one of my sons read it for a class.  At that point I was a considerably older woman, and in some ways, I found the book more relevant to modern women than I did when I was young.  At that point Roe vs. Wade was about a decade old, birth control was widely available and the concept that women control their own bodies was something I took to be true, a given.  Fast forward thirty years and it is glaringly evident that men continue to want to control women, and put it is a guise that any character in The Handmaid's Tale would recognize.
Thirty-four years later, Atwood has revisited Gilead at a moment in the #MeToo era when women have taken to the streets in handmaid costumes, adopting the scarlet cloaks as emblems of protest.  Aunt Lydia returns—the highest-ranking female oppressor in the Gilead described by Offred in a sequel of sorts set 15 years later. In the novel, Lydia is the foremost witness to the founding of the regime. This is a more optimistic view of a way out, that there are men who support the independence of women and there is hope to escape the oppressive patriarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment