Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Emily In Paris (2020)


 I guess I should start off by saying that we watched this during the pandemic, a time when we cannot travel.  Once we can go back to international travel, France is on our list of first possible destinations, but Paris is really not.  There are great museums but for the most part I like France outside the larger cities.  I like regional France, where it is part of the culture to grow food and make jam and to savor the attainable rather than to reach for the best.  Just as I don't get the hustle and bustle and shopping aspect of New York, I do not get it about Paris either.  I do the cultural tour of each and enjoy, but it is not my favorite.

So, that is to say that all the snobby things about Paris and the French that are portrayed in the most exaggerated manner in this series worry me not at all.  This is not an accurate rendition of life in Paris, but rather a culture clash played out in a very amusing way.  It is American culture and values juxtaposed with the French counterpart.  It is youth culture and values meets the way we have always done things.  And it is how to make the old ways hip again.  I would recommend it as escapist  television, and hope there is a season 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment