Search This Blog

Saturday, December 19, 2020

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009)

I began this trip down Holiday Movie Lane after my second eye operation, where my doctor told me leaning forward was imperative for a period of time, and ideal for even four weeks.  No lying on your back at all, and the more time forward the better.  And so began my never much done before holiday movie binge.  And I must say, every streaming service is making it remarkably easy this year, with them all teed up on a list of options.

So here we go, with the riff on A Christmas Carol.  I must say I have a weakness for this story, where you get to see the effect of your past and present and then to see where that leads you in your future.  There is really nothing particularly insightful about this beyond that basic story structure, but it is an identifiable variation.   Connor Mead (aptly played by Matthew McConaughey) is the Barney of "How I Met Your Mother", a wealthy and successful photographer for an A brand magazine who met the love of his life young, but deliberately avoids commitment and actively pursues conquests.  This goes exactly as you would predict, and is a nice light Xmas season diversion, nothing more.
 

1 comment: