Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2020

Open Kitchen by Susan Spungen

This cookbook is the December featured cookbook for the Food 52 Cookbook club.  I had it out of the library over the summer, and on a casual look through thought that it was not for me.  Then I made a recipe, and reading the directions and the context and then tasting the food, I thought, well, it is a pandemic, and we need inspiration to continue to thrive on the food that we are making, so why not?

There are several things that I love about this book, not the least of which are the photos, but a cookbook that has an extensive salads section, on top of vegetable sides is a cookbook for me.  There is plenty of meat in here, but there are quite a few recipes with none, and then others where it can be omitted or is optional.  The book identifies recipes that are projects rather than week night dishes, and there is a break down of when you can do what ahead, so that is you are transporting the dish, or prepping for a week night meal that is elaborate ahead of time, you know exactly what works, at least from the author's point of view.  A nice addition to my collection.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment