Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Enola Holmes (2020)

I have to admit that while I haven't read a Sherlock Holmes story in probably close to 50 years and I never read the whole ouevre, I have almost always enjoyed the knock off versions based on them. One of our pandemic favorites was watching the series Elementary, which has Sherlock as an edgy Brit living in New York City, and Watson as Lucy Lui, a great pairing. This one is based on a young adult novel with Sherlock's previously unimagined younger sister as the budding detective. Her first case drops into her lap as she is slipping away from the grip of her elder brother Mycroft. She is smart and likeable and solves the various crises that she encounters with ingenuity. There is a backdrop of the early days of women's suffrage, which we know took quite some time to get off the ground. I very much enjoyed this version.

No comments:

Post a Comment