Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2021

The Starling (2021)

So many reviews that I read about this movie just hated it, said it was flat and two dimensional and some even said they were embarrassed for Melissa McCarthy for spear heading this effort. I have to disagreee, but then I have two things in my past that may be a bit different from the rest. The first is that my younger brother died when I was ten so I was raised by grieving parents. Then my youngest child had a brain tumor when he was five and spent the year he had surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy in exactly the kind of fog that Lily was in throughout the movie. Lily and Jack (Chris O'Dowd) lose their infant girl to SIDS, and Jack goes in to long term psychiatric care in what appears to be a private hospital. The only unrealistic thing for me is that that is truly unaffordable and he would have probably ended up taking his own life or feeling like he should rather than doing ceramics and therapy for months on end. Lily is left at home, emotionally and physically alone to grapple with her own grief and how to move forward. The story has some twists and turns, but the leadenness of their grief is very relatable for me. Straming on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment