Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Have I Mentioned I Am Moving?


I cannot stop talking about it. For weeks. People are nodding their heads absently when I speak, and I can see that they really don't think this is the big deal that I am making out of it.
I know. Everyone moves. I live in a college town where people move annually. But I haven't done it in a very long time, and somehow I am unable to see it as something for which no one will have much sympathy for. I am usually a teeny weeny bit more empathetic than that, but not so this time.
Well, for me it is a big deal. I usually am pretty good at sorting through my things, packing them up, hauling them somewhere else, and figuring where to put them. Unfortunately I have had the luxury of not having to make a decision about getting rid of anything for almost two decades, and I am feeling the pain of being out of practice. I have also gotten two decades older (uh oh, could that be the real problem?) and I am just not as physically resilient as I once was.

One thing that held me back from moving ahead with the move was that the house we are moving into needed some immediate attention, and once that started, it actually looked in a lot worse condition than when we bought it. It needed a completely new heating system, the sewage system needed to be replaced, and there was a lot of poorly laid or dated tile that had to be torn up. So both the house and the yard became construction zones more than a habitable environment. It was months before it looked like any progress was made at all. But in the past month the new bathrooms have all the finishing touches on them, the walls have been painted, there is now a sizable kitchen in the house, and new floors are being laid. It is a Civil War era house getting a bit of a facelift, and the beauty of it's youth is being allowed to reemerge.
Which is fantastic. But it makes the move very real. Every day I take a car load of things there and put them away, and I marvel that someday soon I will actually live in this house. The whole time I have been working on this project I have had very little time to marvel at the property the house is built on. It is an absolutely gorgeous spot, and one of the great things about the house having no functional rooms while the floors are being finished is that it gives me a chance to sit on the front porch and take in the view. We did this when we were rehabing the Market St. house. The two things I am enjoying are seeing the house I envisioned becoming the house I have, and discovering how pretty a place it is set in.

No comments:

Post a Comment