Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'm Sephardic This Passover


I have always struggled with the Ashkenazi dietary restrictions for Passover. I am completely down with the five prohibited grains: wheat, barley, spelt, oats, and rye. It is the kitniyot that I quibble with (rice, corn, peas, legumes, and such). Especially since quinoa is now acceptable--corn is a new world grain!
I was a vegetarian for over a decade, and still eat legumes on a regular basis, so when Passover comes around, I go from having a largely healthy diet to eating meat and potatoes. Which it seems to me is counter to the whole concept of a holiday. But more than that, it seems to be taking things to a degree that is beyond what the original intent was--we read the Haggadah, we have a very traditional seder, and we spend the week changing our diet in order to remember.
When I converted to Judiasm, I wanted to convert to be specifically Sephardic. Apparently that is not an option, and I have gone along with the Ashkenazi Jewish traditions. Not so this year. My children are largely gone (three down, one to go), and I am ready to have a different kind of Passover.
The addition of rice, corn and legumes opens up the cuisines of Asia and Latin America--it could be International Week, rather than Cholesterol Week. I know, I could go on a raw diet for the week and that might be even healthier than what I usually do, but it is hard to get enough to eat that way. An Ashkenazi vegan would have to go that route, and maybe one year I should try it, but this is my approach for this year.