Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Moving


I am in the midst of my second move in a month's time. My office moved to it's renovated location at the beginning of March and the whole process was simple, fast and refreshing. I asked for and received a large recycling dumpster, proceeded to fill it over the course of a morning, and had all my things boxed up by noon. Moving day was similarly problem-free, and my old furniture was in my office, and my boxes unpacked by 11:00 am. And I was the last to move. Why is it then that moving my house is such a Herculean task?

The answer is that it is multifactorial, of course. None-the-less, I have found it to be overwhelming to think of getting all my things into boxes and moving them. And this was definitely my idea--no one roped me into this. I want to down-size my life to a more manageable level, so that when I retire, and am 10-15 years older than I am now (and unlikely to have any more energy than I currently possess, I might add)it will be easier. I'll just have to sort out what I have accumulated over a decade (instead of three decades) and what I mistakenly kept on the first go round. There are two pressing issues that I am struggling with--what to keep and where to put it. The process of shedding parts of my past is too contemplative to be efficient. I can easily toss papers that I haven't looked at in 5 years, but I am finidng it harder to do that with some things--clothes is the one area that I have managed some sustained success. Kitchen supplies have been a failure--in fact I think I have bought some during the process. What did I not understand about down-sizing? Apparently quite a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment