Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pizza to End Passover


I am not entirely sure why it is that pizza is the food of choice for us to end Passover, but it has always been and probably will always be--the fact that Jewish holidays are linked to specific foods makes that seem almost inevitable. The three foods that are absolute 'musts' at our house during the holiday are matzah ball soup, Queen of Sheba cake, and passover popovers at the end of the week so you can get a semblance of a sandwich. Other favorites include Dina's chocolate and caramel covered matza and merangues, and Kineret's gefilte fish (I swear, this year was the best, but I said the same thing last year, so maybe it is just that I miss it between years). We fly through the seder now that the kids are older, but the food is something to look forward to and savor.
So too is the ending of the ban on chametz. Before I observed Passover I would have said that it would be a snap to get through a week without bread--how hard could it be? It is not like fasting. But in fact, it is quite hard, and the first slice of pizza after 8 days without bread is absolutely heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment