Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2011

Mediteranean Kasha Salad


I ran out of bulgar recently and wanted to make a tabbouleh-like salad--so I read a few things on kasha (the fancy name for buckwheat groats, which is a name that does not conjure up delicious images), how to cook it (it has been so long since I have made kasha with varnishkes that I couldn't remember the recipe), and made a summer salad with them.
Kasha is highly nutritious--the proteins in buckwheat are the best known source of high biological value proteins in the plant kingdom. Buckwheat contains all essential amino acids (eight proteins that the body cannot manufacture) in good proportions, making it closer to being a 'complete' protein than any other plant source.
So I toasted up a cup of kasha, then cooked it in two cups of stock for about 15 minutes, then cooled it. I added what I would usually add to tabbouleh--cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, parseley and mint, tossed with with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and had a hearty, nutty flavored vegetable and grain salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment