Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Summer Tomato Sandwich



Now that real vine-ripe tomatoes are finally in season, the best sandwiches are tomato. How to prepare them is a bone of contention, a sea of possibility with several land mines--whatever your choice, someone is bound to disagree, or lobby vociferously for their option.
In all things related to vegetables and specifically salads, I generally veer toward Mediterranean flavors, spice profiles and sensibilities.
I got this idea from the New York Times and modified it a bit because I am not a huge anchovy fan (theirs has it, mine does not)--Tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, capers, and basil. A splash of red wine vinegar. It goes together quickly, but the ingredients need to stay inside the bread slices for at least an hour. That way, the juicy tomatoes and all the tasty aromatics permeate the bread in a soggy, heavenly way. Use the best bread you can lay your hands on (I recommend the Prairie Flour Bakery bread for those in Iowa City--undeniably the best bread for miles around). Eat it outside. Savor the taste of summer.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite sandwiches. My tomatoes are still green :( I planted late. Hopefully they will ripen soon!!!

    ReplyDelete