Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Blue's Egg, Milwaukee, WI

I had the pleasure of going to Milwaukee recently for dinner and a breakfast--we were gone, door to door, less than 24 hours, including travel time, so every meal counts. Additionally, we were celebrating the 16th birthday of one of our nieces, so even breakfast has additional pressure, and this restaurant delivered. Everything that we had at our table was good, but there are two things worth noting--and one regret. The restauant has two savory stratas on the menu, and I wish that I had tried one of them. The thing that they are well know for is their hash browns, which are often stuffed with things and are overall very good (I would have cooked them a bit more and mixed in a few more spices, but as restaurant hash browns go, these are quite good). The thing that surprised me with how good it was were the multi-grain pancakes--I am going to try to make some that equal the qualities that these had--they had flax seeds and some oatmeal, which is where I will start--they were not oppressively healthy tasting, and yet had the interesting flavor that additional grains add, so a brilliant combination. This is a breakfast place that is well worth going back to--I have been to a couple of other places well known for their breakfast food in the past several months (Hell's Kitchen in Minneaplois and Mama's on Washington Square in San Francisco) and this is the best yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment