Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Graceful Buddhist Statues

I try to avoid discussion of religion in general. Here, in this blog, as well as elsewhere. If the world has three 'major' religions, I was raised in one and live in another. So I am not religion-naive. And I am not sensitive myself, but I know that the issue of belief drives wars. So I am speaking very narrowly here. I was at the Asian Art museum in San Francisco recently and I was really struck by how full of grace the depictions of Buddha are.
I cannot relate to the peaceful ways of Buddha personally. I see the allure. The whole time I was in temples in Thailand, all I could think about that this was such a great alternative for people who are lost, who are seeking meaning in their life or a path to follow. The virtues of monastic life in a Buddhist temple are centering in a way that other paths are not for young people at loose ends. The military would be an option in my country, and nothing about military service would drive you to create a statue such as these. The whole museum is filled with similar beauty. Don't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment