Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2015

If I Stay (2014)

This movie is an adaptation of a YA book that I have not read, but was apparently very popular and according to other reviewers, the movie is a faithful adaption.  It is a story of falling in love for the first time and the choices that you are forced to make at the end of high school when your heart says that you should stay and your head says that you should pursue the opportunities that are only available at that time in life.  Only this movie has a twist.  Mia (played beautifully by Chloe Grace Moretz, known by me best from her role in Kickass) is in a terrible car accident and her spirit is hovering around the hospital while she is unconscious.  So the 'if I stay' is more or an 'if I live' than an 'if I chose to leave home to go to college'.

That sort of story, the dying girl story, does not really characterize the movie, which is a very sweet love story between a classical cellist and the lead man in a rising rock band.  He writes beautiful ballads and she plays Beethoven beautifully.  The casting of these two is brilliant--they are believably smitten with each other and are very likable.  So it is easy to dismiss the histrionics if you are not so into that and enjoy the movie.  I am not one for weeping in movies (which doesn't mean I don't on occasion do so), but this one could lead to the shedding or tears if you are so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment