Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Delicious! by Ruth Reichl

In the interest of full disclosure, I read about half of this book while I was getting chemotherapy infused, which is not a state associated with a high level of attention to detail, but I enjoyed this thinly veiled fiction about working at Gourmet when the magazine closed.

Billie, the main character, is more of a cub reporter than an experienced editor (as Reichl was at the time), new to New York City and discovering all that is fascinating about the city from a food perspective.  She has many features of a young Reichl, including a beautiful mother who died young, an impeccable palate, and an insatiable curiosity about food.  The book is really very fun if you have something that falls into these categories of interest, and will probably seem rather pedestrian if you do not.  I very much enjoyed it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment