Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Julieta (2016)

Pedro Aldomovar is not one to shy away from the uncomfortable.  Quite the contrary, he runs full steam ahead into uncomfortable situations populated by unusual people in an unflinching way that I find admirable as well as memorable.
This is his twentieth movie I read, which made me go and look to see how many I have seen.  Twenty just sounds like an awful lot, and I was right, I have only seen seven of them, so one thing to do is if you see this and like it would be to seek out some of his other work.
The young Julieta gets slightly freaked out by a guy on a train, and one thing leads to another, with her seeking comfort with another, becoming pregnant with his child, and starting a life with someone whom she really doesn't know.  The inauspicious beginning leads nowhere good, but certainly not where you would predict it to go (this is Aldomovar, after all), and it is really quite good.  Julieta is somehow almost, but not quite, set free at the ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment