Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

I was really looking forward to this book, and in a lot of ways it delivered.  I was blown away by The Fault in Our Stars because it captured so much of the heartache I felt having a child who had cancer.  I cried through about the last third of the book, and wished that I had had it to give to people while my son was getting chemotherapy and radiation.  "Here is something to help you understand where I am at right now."  So it would have been almost impossible for this book to have a greater impact on me.
And it didn't.  But I did very much enjoy this tale of a young woman who has significant anxieties, obsessions, and ruminations.  She is getting help, taking medications, and yet, despite all that, it is hard for her to have a semblance of a normal young adulthood.  Green is best when he is exploring those who live on the edges during teenhood, and Ava is a great character.  The story he builds around her is less compelling and more what you would expect from a YA novel, but in many ways, he couldn't really top he last book in my estimation, and I was happy with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment