Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2018

Toni Erdmann (2016)

I still have one more movie to watch that was nominated for the 2017 Oscars, but while I wait to be able to see that, I am finishing up the handful of movies that I haven't finished watching from last year's nominees, and this is one of them.
It is a long and somewhat difficult film from Germany. When I say long, I mean three hours, and the gist of it is that after watching this movie, if you thought that you had an embarrassing parent, you will see that it could have been worse.  I remember reading Dave Berry some years ago, threatening his teenager with driving up to his high school in the Oscar Meyer Wiener mobile, shirtless and with a nipple ring.  This goes way way beyond that, and the daughter in this case is in her thirties, and he is showing up not just at family functions but also at her work place and to after hours business engagements.  It is just monstrously painful to watch, and finally the daughter, Ines, cracks, not from her father's antics it seems, but in that she finally sees the beauty of his ways.  I still have one more film in this category to watch, but the equally dark "A Man Called Ove" is still my choice for last year's winner (which is not what the Academy thought).

No comments:

Post a Comment