Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Motherhood

I do truly think of things like Mother's Day as  manufactured holidays that are designed to force all of us to get cards and flowers and chocolates together to show our appreciation for a parent.  It is brilliant in some ways, because we all had a mother, but on some level it is very painful for those who have lost a mother or in a lot of ways never really had one.
So for me it is a chance to be thankful that both as a child and as a mother I have been fortunate.  I did not have any desire to be a mother, and in a lot of respects that while I am basically a good mother, I do not have the additional features that takes a mother from good to great.  That being said, the Winnicott concept of the good enough mother appears to be sufficient.  My last child graduated from college this year, and my first grand child was born.  I have given fully of my self when it has been needed, and there have been some very rocky points along the way, and it ended up being all right. And today, I celebrate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment