Search This Blog

Sunday, May 27, 2018

San Diego Public Art Surprises

On a recent trip I realized that I had sold San Diego short.  I am not a beach person.  I like a bucolic water view almost as much as the next person, but it doesn't send me.  So I had somewhat low expectations of my time in the self proclaimed America's Finest City.
The airport in San Diego is so close to the downtown area that you can easily walk there.  Landing is a bit disconcerting, because I swore I could wave at people in their offices in skyscrapers we passed.  Stepping off the plane after a surprisingly pleasant flight, I was greeted by this sculpture entitled Figure of Speech, a whole series of rolled tongues that was both beautiful and it made me laugh.

Next stop was a walk around the Gaslamp district, which is near the waterfront.  I love the late nineteenth century architecture, which is both surprising in a California town and reminiscent of my own house.  There was a lot of street art in this neighborhood and I would definitely recommend spending an afternoon walking along the waterfront then venturing inland to see what is on offer.










No comments:

Post a Comment