Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Power of the Egg

One thing that binds my husband's siblings together is food.  And the cooking of food.  So when it comes to outdoor cooking, not one of us would argue against the Big Green Egg.
I remember when my husband first told me that he was going to buy one.  He did not explain that it was a ceramic kamodo-style grill, modeled on an ancient method.  The earliest cooking vessels were made of clay and found in China, dated to be over 3,000 years old. All over the world these cooking vessels evolved in many different ways, and in Japan a clay pot with a removable dome lid became popular. This device was called a "mushikamado" and it included a damper and draft door for better heat control. It was introduced to Americans after the Second World War, and eventually, it became known as a "kamado" which literally means "cooking range" or "stove" in Japanese.
I love the egg, and so when asked if I wanted to go to a cooking festival revolving around all things cooked in an egg, I acquiesced.

No comments:

Post a Comment