Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2020

A New Risk Category

Yes, as a matter of fact I am.
I enter a higher risk category today.
In the state in which I live, which is one where lock downs are being lifted while the numbers of infected people is rising, this is a cause for huge concern.
Of all those who have tested positive for COVID in my neck of the woods, 14% have been age 61-80 and 5% have been over 80 years old.  The mortality numbers are far worse for these two age groups, with 41% of those who have died being 61-80 years old and 47% being over 80 years old.  There are two reasons to be hopeful.  My county represents 4% of the COVID + cases in the state and only 2% of the deaths.  We had a lot of cases early on, so this represents COVID being in our community for over 8 weeks rather than just now appearing, so we are doing a good job of social distancing and impeding the spread locally.
A pandemic is a scary time for everyone, and we do not know what the future holds.  What we do know is that we are not prepared, and many are not prepared to do what it takes to stop it.  So I will be staying apart for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment