Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Otherhood (2019)

I watched this while quarantining in my house over the holidays.  I was looking for lighter movie fare, and willing to sacrifice some in the realm of quality in order to not think too hard.  Unfortunately I pretty much missed the mark this this choice.

The movie has three well known leads in Angela Bassett, Patricia Arquette, and Felicity Huffman.  The play three mothers who seem to have distant roles in their son's lives but are none-the-less incensed that they have not gotten Mother's Day greetings.  I find the day to be largely manufactured to sell things (although I have always enjoyed the garden planting that my kids and husband have done each May, I do not under any circumstances get riled up about not hearing from them).  They storm off unannounced to New York City to somehow set the record straight on how important they are.  They stir up a few pots, then get seemingly rewarded for bad behavior in the end, which seems somehow unfair.  It is particularly ironic to see Huffman in her largely hands off role as a mother when in real life she spent time in jail for fraud and bribery related to getting her child into college. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment