Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Perry Mason (2020)

I watched the Raymond Burr version of Perry Mason as reruns as a child, and the show ran in the late 1950's into the early 1960's.  So both it and I are over 60 years old.  The books go back even further and I read some of them in my teenage years.  This iteration of Perry is quite a bit more interesting.

I do not know the Erle Stanley Gardner origin story, but in this one, set in the early 1930's while the country is in the throws of the Depression as well as Prohibition, Perry becomes a lawyer without having to actually attend law school, Hamilton Burger and Della Street share secrets and a bond that keeps them helping each other out at any cost, and Paul Drake is a black cop who is both repeatedly subjected to degrading treatment based on his race by much stupider, far more corrupt cops, all before he leaves and hooks up with Perry.  The series is way grittier than the previous one, way better written and acted, and most importantly, way more interesting.  Do not miss this, even (I think) if you are not a huge fan of noir or legal procedurals.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment