Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2019

Holmes and Watson (2019)

I had just seen John C. Reilly in Stan and Ollie and thought he was really terrific, but this movie is so puerile it was hard to finish, and while I did, I started to fast forward through the juvenile sexual innuendoes and potty humor, it was just cringe worthy.  If this sounds appealing, then by all means, you should see this movie.  If you are inordinately attracted to all things Sherlock Holmes (and I myself may very well fall into this category--it is really the only thing I can think of as to why I actually finished the movie, that and that I am almost incapable of not finishing something that I start, be it a book or a movie).
Here is the thing.  The movie takes every possible opportunity to either make dumb references, make a sexual innuendo or employ potty humor.  The fact that the actors are in their fifties somehow makes it worse.  They are no longer kids who can pull this off successfully.  Worse yet, they have done really good work in other films, why sully the name of Holmes and Watson with this?  I cannot answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment