Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2019

No Reservation for Anthony Bourdain

I am amongst the last handful of people who had not seen an Anthony Bourdain episode before he died, who also believes themselves to be both a foodie and a traveler.  Bad on me.  I know people who have chosen vacation destinations based on a show that he did, so it is not like I had no exposure.  It wasn't until he took his own life that I decided it was time to see what he had on offer.
I watched two episodes of No Reservations and was not impressed.  The cinematography was terrible, and his sense of humor was off putting for me.  Then at the end of the episode in Sweden, he mock hung himself.  Not funny at the time, and certainly not in hindsight.  The episode that covered the US-Mexico border was strangely prescient of a future where the situation would devolve.  But not good enough to want me to watch more.
I then watched an episode of Parts Unknown, which was better produced, and smart mouthed.  He had a global sense that he wanted to impart was laudable.

No comments:

Post a Comment