Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2019

In a Sunburnt Country by Bill Bryson

I was so disappointed in the last Bill Bryson book that it didn't occur to me to read this, but when it came through a few sources that this would be a good read for someone going to Australia, and I was indeed going on said vacation, that I decided to read it and was happy to do so.
And I was rewarded for listening to my spouse.  This is a book full of what I would call fun facts, that are in part a way to demonstrate just how unique a place Australia is and in part a cautionary word.  This place is full of dangerous insects and reptiles on land, and equally problematic sharks and jellyfish in the ocean, interspersed with geographical challenges like riptides and desert.  Just be on your A game when it comes to being a tourist.  That is all tempered by his unbounded enthusiasm for the country. He loves the people and the places, he has flown and driven and ridden the rails, so he really says that from a sense of knowing.  His only foot note to all that goodness is the past and current treatment of Australia's incredible indigenous people, the oldest known immigrants out of Africa, and who have a remarkable history all their own (which is left almost completely uncovered in this book).  Highly recommended for anyone traveling there.

No comments:

Post a Comment