Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2015

I Must be Old

As of today, both of my parents are in their 80's.  Happy Birthday Dad!

So what does that mean for me?  Well, they did not have me late in life.  In fact, when I was growing up, my parents were the young ones amongst my peers.  So no matter how you look at it, I am no spring chicken myself.

Reports have it that your siblings are the ones who know you across your life span, but I would contend that while that is true, your parents have a pretty good shot at coming in second or at least third in that race.  They almost certainly hope that they do not under any circumstances outlive you (I am pretty sure that while it is hard to loose a child when they are still in childhood, it is no easier for a parent when the child is 60 and they are 85.  Age does not change the nature of that bond).  I would never have believed it if you had told me that I would still be a child to someone well into my 50's, but the fact of the matter is that that is indeed the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment