Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Eve Drewelowe (1899-1988)

Eve Drewelowe is an artist who I had never heard of, but saw this painting in the Boulder Museum of Modern Art and really loved it.  So, as is so often the case, the artist has an Iowa connection but I learned about her not at home, but on the road.  She got her undergraduate degree and her MFA at the University of Iowa in the early 20th century.   If you like what you see here, then there is a gallery of images of her work on the University of Iowa web site that are well worth looking at.
I love this bold painting with both vibrant colors and dramatic textures.  It reminds me a bit of Georgia O'Keefe's work (no, I do not know what I am talking about, not in the least, this is just a personal and very unsophisticated opinion).  They were contemporaries at a time when there weren't a lot of prominent female artists in the United States at the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment