Search This Blog

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Corn, Peppers, and Carmelized Onions

I stumbled upon this combination, which is an old southern side dish, when I was at a very large gathering for the recent solar eclipse.
This is the way it came about.  I had a number of fresh onions in my refrigerator that were getting to the point where they absolutely had to be used, so while I was preparing other food for the big event I caramelized them, slowly cooking them down until they were sweet and brown and almost melted in your mouth.  I brought a shopping bag full of fresh peppers, a couple of them hot, or at least warm, and the rest all the colors of the rainbow because it is that time of year in Iowa.  Finally, we had corn on the cob one night, and took all of it off the ears and had quite a lot of it left.
These three ingredients, starting with sauteing the peppers in olive oil and butter until they were soft, then added some Roma tomatoes, and when they were completely broken down, added the left over corn and the caramelized onions and salt and pepper, and voila!  Delicious side dish, seasonally perfect, and highlighting the simple flavors of the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment