Search This Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Joy of Making Baby Clothes

A hint to begin here.  The joy is not in the accomplishment of making fine garments.  It comes from wrapping a loved one in things made with your hands.  And from your heart.
I am not a seamstress.  As you can see from the quilt in the background, I like to work in two dimensions.  So while I have little talent and almost no experience with making items for a three dimensional baby, I undertook a project to sew for my brand new granddaughter.
So, what I lacked in couture I made up for in my desire to make things that came from love for our newest family member.  I have a friend who once said that she didn't want t o sleep in a bed made by a person who was not happy.  She wanted a joyful bed made by a person she liked.  At the time I thought that was slightly nuts, and maybe a bit privileged.  But I have come to realize that there are some very important things about that sentiment that I share.  I want to transform my love into something that is palpable, and making baby clothes is a surprising result of that desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment