Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2015

Keep Those Cards and Letters Coming

I was visited in the hospital while I was getting some chemotherapy infused by a woman that I know because she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and has been through exactly what I am going through now.  She has worked with the science of the disease, and so she is a wonderful source of support, both from an emotional standpoint (what it is exactly like to go through this) and from the sense of what to do next, once this part is behind me.  She is a gem.

She brought me a card, and she told me that the cards that she got throughout her treatment made all the difference to her.  She kept them all, and she reads through them still.  They are a talisman for her, a reminder of many things.  For me it is manifold as well.  I have been very touched by the sentiments that have been shared.  I love just looking at the images.  I am a visual person and the things that people chose are so wonderfully varied.  I am comforted by the sheer volume of them.  There really are a lot of great people in my life, and at times of trouble it is really nice to be reminded of that.  I do try to be someone who hangs on to what I have rather than dwell on what I have to lose, but it isn't always possible to be so positive, and the cards help keep the good part in focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment