Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Spectre (2015)

I was shocked to hear one of my kids talking about James Bond movies in a dismissive way.  They just do not hold the cache they once did, is what I was led to believe.  True, they  have been more imitative than innovative. Even in the 1960s, which is when I first saw them, they were essentially superhero movies starring an indestructible character who wore suit instead of tights. He ran, jumped, drove and flew (with the new addition of parkor) through the movie,  which occurred in exotic and beautiful locations. If you like all that, then you should be more or less happy with this installment, but somehow I found it unnecessarily complicated and while it had all the elements of a good Bond movie, somehow when they were all put together, I was a little disappointed.
The Daniel Craig Bond character harkens back to the early days of the series with a hero who is more human than other Bonds.  Christoph Waltz' bad guy is well within the bounds of off-the-chart evil that you would expect for a Bond opponent.  I think it was the script that I had quarrel with more than anything.  It is a star studded cast and a darkly filmed movie that will probably make lots of people happier than I was with it.  Maybe I am just not that into Bond any more.  The end of an era.

No comments:

Post a Comment