Search This Blog

Monday, July 24, 2017

Summer of Love Exhibit, De Young Museum

I was lucky enough to be in San Francisco  for reasons other than pleasure recently.  There are a number of exhibits and events to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love that I was able to see.  I would definitely recommend the De Young contribution to the festivities.  For one thing, if you have a love of the poster art of the era, there are literally hundreds of examples for the seemingly endless number of incredible bands playing frequently throughout the late 1960's in the Bay Area.  The art is both varied and distinctive. 
The other interesting part of the exhibition is the clothing and most specifically, the needlework that was common was very fun for me to see.  Crochet and embroidery were widely practiced, including by me.  The fiber arts are undergoing a resurgence in popularity, perhaps heralding another period of change in America.  It made me want to go home and embroider some of my garments.

No comments:

Post a Comment