Search This Blog

Monday, April 6, 2015

The Aprons of Oaxaca

I am not exaggerating when I say that every Zapotec woman wears one of these aprons.  They are everywhere.  The woman pictured here is at the Tlacalula market, a spectacular Sunday market that is a must see.  She is tending a grill where you can cook the meat that you have bought that day before you venture home.

The one thing that I regretted not buying on my first trip to Oaxaca was one of these aprons.  While I cook frequently, and I am messy.  It is not at all unusual for me to need to change clothing after cooking as a result of having gotten something, or many things, on my clothing.  Despite this I never ever wear an apron.  So why would I want to bring one home with me?  It is a connection to place.  I bought one on my last trip, and I may get one next time as well.  I love the idea of a uniform and that is what these aprons are, much more than a protection for clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment